For this issue the legal test is:
1. Whether paying support based on the bonus when the bonus is received ensures that the recipient is not being paid too little or too much, and avoids significant adjustments later on.
2. Whether there is any guarantee that the payor will receive any bonus.
3. The support-payor’s cash flow, including (depending on the arrangement) interim tax installments owed to CRA.
4. Whether both of the parties should bear the cash flow burden.
5. Whether there is demonstrated “need” by the support-recipient for the additional amount of support each month to meet expenses.