Frequently Asked Questions
PART I - SERVICES OFFERED
Formally, “limited scope” or “unbundled” services describe an agreement between a lawyer and a client, where the lawyer handles only specified parts of the client’s legal matter.
Lawyers recognize that even if you work on 20% of a family law matter, you still need 110% knowledge of your client’s matter – including the other party’s version of reality. This poses a significant problem in fee reduction, which is the primary motivation for using limited services.
Rather, interpret “limited scope” as an agreement that the client knows what the lawyer is doing before it’s done. The lawyer doesn’t have a ‘blank cheque’ to do whatever work they think necessary and then bill the client for it.
Coupled with the creative use of reliably cheap technology, the net result is cogent service with the desired cost efficiency.
(1) Just Getting Started Services
• Drafting – or just help in drafting – a cogent and up-to-date financial statement for use in your specific family law situation
• Compiling the supporting documentation for your financial statement, including providing it in a shareable brief format
• Collating a working Financial Disclosure Certificate, listing the documentation provided
• Reviewing drafted documents for completeness and answering any questions you have
(2) ‘Mired in it’ Services
• Advising on the reasonableness of the disclosure demanded of you
• Guidance on further information, documentation or expert witness support you may need to obtain
• Compiling additional disclosure documents that may be requested of, demanded from, or ordered against you
(3) Additional Services not directly related to Disclosure – if requested
• Drafting support calculations for child support and/or spousal support, whether prospective or retrospective, based on the information provided
• Drafting a net family property statement
• Drafting a net family property worksheet
• Compiling a document brief
• Communicating with your own lawyer with respect to coordinating your disclosure obligations
Disclosure Clinic does one job – family law financial disclosure – really well. There is no ‘upsell’ for further representation, in or out of court.
If you need a formal property, business or income valuation, you can be provided referrals to qualified, competent professionals that specializes in such services. Disclosure Clinic is a legal service whereas these professionals create their own evidence for you – expert opinion evidence.
A referral is just a name for you to contact. Disclosure Clinic receives absolutely no kickbacks or any other financial incentives for referrals.
Helping both parties is called a Joint Retainer.
Some things are worth having: the space for personal, confidential contemplation and open discussion about your finances for family law purposes. While it’s possible to have two parties as clients, you would each be waiving basic confidentiality and legal privilege protections between you. As such, Disclosure Clinic chooses not to accept joint retainers.
For mediation professionals looking to refer clients to Disclosure Clinic, just email email@example.com to discuss which client can have more benefit of the service.
Frequently Asked Questions
PART II - FEES
The initial consultation is $250.00 inclusive of tax ($221.24 + HST).
The initial consultation is a fixed flat rate that is between the two continuing services rates.
The consultation is about quickly identifying your legal issues and starting the work you need to get you going on your financial disclosure. It’s about practical advice on your financial statement in whatever state it’s in, answering your questions and, as needed, starting on your to-do list.
For those looking to engage in continuing services after the consultation, billing is on an hourly rate basis. As with other legal professionals, the hourly rate is calculated in 6 minute increments:
● If you are not in a court proceeding or arbitration, and just need help with finishing up your disclosure, you qualify for the lower hourly rate of $200.00 /h inclusive of tax ($177.00 + HST).
● If you are in a court proceeding or arbitration, OR if you ask for calculation services, the rate is $295.00 /h inclusive of tax ($261.07 + HST).
The higher rate reflects the extra priority required for those in a court process, usually tied to imposed deadlines.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
PART III - OTHER QUESTIONS ASKED AND ANSWERED
No, and this is key: As legal communications, not only are our discussions and work product confidential, but they are also protected by solicitor-client privilege.